Well our first married Thanksgiving was a rousing success, if I do say so myself. We were lucky enough to have TWO friends join us, Leigh and Dave, who were great sports about the “challenges” we face with our kitchen, cookware, and access to ingredients.

We started with the soup course: Carrot Ginger Soup, lovingly prepared by Jeff – yum! With grit and ingenuity, he converted a tiny smoothie blender into a full-fledged food processor.
Then we moved to the main course: chicken breast (our turkey man didn’t come through), sauteed spinach, and stuffing.
We finished up with my traditional Pecan Pie – this year with a few alterations.

While nothing compares to my Bubbe’s amazing pie crust recipe, I am not a pro at it yet and my mom wasn’t nearby to assist. So I consulted Martha and we decided on a shortbread crust instead. Turns out it was awesome (Martha has yet to disappoint)! Not a great fit for an apple pie, but with the pecan it really worked! Also, I normally make a Joy of Cooking traditional pecan pie which is anything but traditional. Karo syrup is not natural and not necessary in any dish. Instead I found a Karo-free recipe which was just as easy and delicious! And I was able to pronounce every single ingredient I used which just makes me feel better. As long as I don’t think about the fact that those ingredients are primarily butter and egg.

Leigh stayed over the night on our comfy couch (currently vacant and looking for another occupant)
and in the morning I made Danish bread french toast. It was so good last week we couldn’t resist.
We're super excited to do it again next year. In America. With Turkey.
Mata ne,
Melissa
1 comments:
So Dad says - "look! it's the "nice one!" Hopw you had a great visit with Leigh. Aaron says keep the coach warm, he has his tickets.
Post a Comment