Kentucky Christmas
Every family has their own Christmas traditions. Mine usually includes a trip to Watertown to celebrate with Grandma and my dad's side of the family. Jeff's family always hung out with the same group of families for a "white elephant" Christmas exchange. From what I understand, this is generally in line with what most of the rest of the world does, spending time with family and close friends, contemplating a birth that took place approximately 2010 years ago. Of course, several friends also celebrated the "chosen people" way with Chinese food and movies. (The NYTimes and SNL are blowing their cover though!)
Here in Japan, Christmas, as with many "western" traditions, is interpreted very differently. It's common to find people getting together and eating KFC fried chicken. No joke. I have not been able to determine where this practice originated, though I am suspicious of KFC's role. There are actually commercials advertising fried chicken from KFC, supermarkets, and konbini, commonly referred to as convenience stores in America.
Historically, the new year is a much bigger celebration than the birth of Jesus in this predominantly non-Christian country. People get together for bonenkai, a traditional end of the year get-together that translates literally as "forget the year party." I'd prefer not to forget this year, thankyouverymuch!
This year, Jeff and I aren't celebrating Christmas. Fitting I suppose, neither of us being Chrsitian and all. Rather, we bought peanut butter (a celebration within itself), ate burritos with our good friend Chris, and are now watching Love Actually while enjoying a glass of wine. And Jeff is doing the laundry. That is the only Christmas miracle I need.
Hope you're all enjoying your time off from work/school and your Christmas/Channuka/Kwanzaa/Festivus celebrations! What are you all doing this year, anyways?
Mata ne,
Melissa

3 comments:
Hey, that's not fair! I do laundry all the time. And dishes. Why, occasionally, I even replace the toilet paper when it's gone!
I'm working - hospitals don't close for Christmas, but I may get out early to enjoy Christmas eve dinner with the family in Watertown. I'm bringing the potato bake Aunt Judi loves and also a tray of my homemade Baklava.
btw:
1) I loved the little clip. Very funny.
2) Love Actually (I know - your favorite movie of all time) has my favorite Christmas song in it (All I want for Christmas is you).
Christmas eve dinner in watertown. Ate too much as usual. Going back tomorrow for seconds. Got lots of pictures and will send them soon.
The clip was very funny. So that's why your mother likes that "sweet ass wine"
Post a Comment