Monday, April 26, 2010

repeat after me: o-ko-no-mi-yaki

Okonomiyaki is always an experience.  For those of you who haven't been to Japan (as I am fairly certain it is extremely hard to find anywhere else) okonomiyaki is a savory pancake with vegetables. 

This is the best description we've got, so I'm sticking with it.  I suppose if you haven't had the pleasure, you really could not possibly know what it tastes like since everyone agrees that "pancake" is not a good way to describe it but then continues to do so. 




So my parents were intrigued. 

Apprehensively stirring the batter...



Clearly excited. Because I know what's coming.


Okonomiyaki on the grill.  Seasoning and topping it.  And waiting for it to cook.  And waiting.  Preparing okonomiyaki is an exercise in patience. 

When it was finally done, we had lost all interest in taking pictures and were concentrating on enjoying the food we had prepared ourselves.  Little different than American restaurants, huh? 

The verdict:  My parents loved it.  In fact, my mom liked it so much, she wanted to go back for her last meal in Tokyo.  Unfortunately, the place wasn't open for lunch so we hit up New Koenji India.  Again.  I'm fairly certain we are their best customers.  But that is another story....

Mata ne,
Melissa

1 comments:

Anonymous April 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

I found a recipe on the net that looks fairly good - and even found all the ingredients at Weggies...we'll let you know how it turns out!

Post a Comment