Saturday, May 1, 2010

meeting expectations

As you may recall from our previous visit to Kyoto, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Ginkakuji, the Silver Temple.  Turns out, it isn't silver.

Well, Kinkakuji, the Golden Temple, on the other hand, is spectacular.  It's covered in gold! 

And I was extra excited to take pictures of it using my newly procured super fancy Nikon camera.  (See it there, hanging off my hip?  I'm still getting the hang of it - any advice is appreciated!)

The Newlyweds (we are two curly-haired Jews on a humid day, what do you expect our hair to look like?)
The Not-so-Newlyweds

Jeff and mom holding their omamori, which are small trinkets you can buy at temples for good luck and success.  Jeff's was for academic success.  I think my mom's was for safe driving.  How she's survived the last 35 years of driving without it is beyond me.
 (Editor's note:  Jeff just asked "Why do I look like Ronald McDonald?)

Mata ne,
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment