Monday, April 5, 2010

zen gardens!

There are plenty of Buddhist temples in Kyoto and thus several fine examples of zen gardens.  These intricate rock gardens are more complex and on a larger scale than I imagined.  It is said they are best viewed on a rainy day, so Kyoto nicely prepared one for us.

Remember, it's all made of tiny pebbles and sand!

Notice the very nice looking trees and well-kept mossy areas?  The rocks are not the only things they take very good care of - Jeff told me the last time he was here they were sweeping the moss!
I can't imagine the kind of time it takes to get this right.  It would drive my perfectionist self nuts!  Notice how the lines are so straight separating the smooth and rough bands.
Further along in the garden area behind the temple there were beautiful paths to wander.  (This one was blocked off, possibly because of the rain/mud?)
Oh, I guess I should mention that this was at the Ginkaku-ji or Silver Temple.  Do not let the name mislead you!  There is no silver here.  Having seen the gold-leafed storehouse I mistakenly assumed that this temple might actually be made of silver.  Turns out there was a plan to cover it completely in silver leaf, but it was never carried out.  Classic case of "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Mata ne,
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment