Saturday, November 21, 2009

pork

The other day, we went out to an unfamiliar part of Tokyo to check out a fixed-gear bike for Jeff (he insists on being different).  On our way to the alternative bike shop, we passed a restaurant on the second floor of a building that had a line not only down the stairs, but out to door and down the street a bit too. 

In a city like Tokyo with enough restaurants to keep you busy for several years, a line out the door of a restaurant is reason to check it out for yourself.  We could see from the overpass we were walking on that the chefs seemed to be grilling cabbage and other stuff, and guessed it was okonomiaki, a panckake-like dinner usually grilled on the table in front of you. 

When we went back to get Jeff’s bike, the line wasn’t too long so we decided to stop in for lunch.  Maybe I should have been tipped off by the murals of pigs on the walls as we walked up the stairs to the dining area.  There were only a few choices for lunch.  None of them vegetarian and all featuring pork.  I’ve never been a huge fan of pork, and even managed to avoid it in Schweinfurt (“pig fort”) Germany when visiting a few years ago. 

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  Jeff ordered me the basic dish which was essentially a slab of meat and a side of shredded cabbage.  I was honestly surprised to find that it was really good.  I enjoyed every bite.  That is, until my body reminded me with a tummyache a few hours later that I rarely eat meat and never pork .

It is almost impossible to eat the nearly vegetarian diet I had been accustomed to in America, and so hard to find many of the ingredients that make the staples of our meals at home.   I’m adjusting though, and finding new things everyday that I like.  A lot more on food to come!

Mata ne,
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment