Sunday, January 17, 2010

Big Buddha

The last few days have not been all that exciting in the lives of the extended honeymooners.  Unless, like us, you find locating a new library to study in exciting.  We've also cooked several meals at home, and worked out a bunch.  Not exactly happenings worthy of a post, I know. Lucky for you, I am a delinquent and still have one more picture to report on from Michael and Sara's visit. 

Photo #6


Yes, Mom (and Cindy), this was taken in Kamakura at the Daibutsu, or Big Buddha, as we affectionately refer to him.  At a commanding 13.35 meters tall this is not the biggest Buddha in Japan, or the only one known as Daibutsu, which literally means "large Buddha."  He is among the oldest, having been built about 1252 entirely out of bronze. Originally, the statue was housed inside a wooden temple, but the original temple was destroyed (the information at the temple site said it happened twice!) by a tsunami. 

AND, for only twenty yen (that's like twenty cents!) you can actually go inside the big Buddha.  Of course, we chose to do so.  How many of you can say you've been in the belly of a Buddha? We did take pictures inside, but it was dark and looked like what you'd guess the inside of a statue looks like.  We did have our fun taking pictures in front of the big Buddha before going inside him.

Doesn't look so big there, does he?  It should be noted that people - many of them, in fact - are actually there to pray, too.  They place an offering (usually pocket change) in the money-collector-thing right in front of the altar, or in this case, Buddha, and clap twice, bow, and pray.  Or something like that. 

Interestingly, the travel guides we consulted all mentioned the purple potato (it's common in Japan and similar to a sweet potato) ice cream available at the shop at the entrance to the shrine.  We were so intrigued we had to give it a try. 


Just as you'd expect from purple potato ice cream, it tasted like a potato.  It wasn't bad exactly, just not what I am used to.  Somewhere in the world right now there is a Japanese girl trying peanut butter ice cream for the first time having the same exact response. 

Mmmmm.  I could really go for a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup right now. 

After our fun with the Big Buddha, Jeff led us on an expedition through a bamboo forest.  Yeah, for real. 

Doesn't that backpack make him look like kindergartner?  It is sooo big.   I bet he could pack every single item of clothing he brought to Japan in that thing.  Of course, that's not saying much, since he brought three outfits. 

After emerging from the woods, I decided to give the purple potato desserts one more shot with a filled doughnut hole.  It was quite good actually, with cinnamon and sugar topping!


After our half-day excursion, we decided to go for a full day trip to the onsen in Hakone.  It was an onsen experience like none other.  More to come...

Mata ne,
Melissa

3 comments:

karyn January 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

I couldn't have done it without Cindi! Hope between all the sibs you save some tourist traps for us!

Happy Birthday Aaron!!!

mom

Jonathan Hoster January 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

I'm not sure how I feel about all this talk about junk food - doughnuts, ice cream... I feel like I should be reprimanding you! I just returned home from the Y, thank you very much!

melissa January 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

Don't worry - I am taking the stairs instead of the escalator everywhere! Too bad we can't run into you at the Y this year. Started training for the corporate challenge yet?

Post a Comment