Saturday, January 23, 2010

How does your garden grow?

I just finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  However you may have felt about The Bean Trees in high school, this new book is worth a good read.   More personal family memoir than novel, it's focus is on the Kingsolver family's year of eating almost exclusively locally produced foods. 


 This book is neither an attack on industrial farming institutions nor a how-to guide for taking yourself "off the grid" of our current agricultural infrastructure, though there are interesting commentaries which touch on both of these subjects.  Rather, it is one family's experience with the pleasure of eating seasonal foods in season and the value of supporting local farmers by buying their products rather than (lower quality) imports supported by corporate farming interests. I have a hard time believing people will be able to find fault with either of those points, but I'm sure some will. 

Regardless of your political leanings or diet, I seriously suggest you check out this book. 

Mata ne,
Melissa

Elle and Julie: This is my vote for next month's book club.  I'll even skype in!

0 comments:

Post a Comment