Saturday, February 27, 2010

tokyo marathon: the before

Tomorrow is the Tokyo Marathon featuring my cute husband... and 30,000 other runners.  Running is really big in Japan.

We headed over to the expo the other day where, as you might imagine, there were a plethora of photo opportunities.  Jeff and I took advantage of several of them.



At the booth of the official photographers of the event.  Ever the fashion plate, he matched the background.










Tired after such a long run!

Hopefully that will be his time when he crosses the finish line for real!









Yet another finish line photo. I think this is supposed to be the time of the top finishers or something.


We also got our picture taken at the Nike purikura booth.  Japan has taken the art and fun of photo booths to a whole new level, and such entertainment is deemed appropriate for any and all occasions.



Tonight he's been preparing all his stuff for the morning.  We had a little fashion show.


His racing outfit...









With the 100 yen shop arm warmers (which may or may not be leg warmers) and hat he'll wear at the start if he's cold.  (He'll throw them away when he warms up.)






Ready to go with the poncho and rain pants (also from the 100 yen shop) he bought in case it's really nasty in the morning.  The forecast is still for rain. 



If you're interested, you can track his splits in real time (starting at 7:10 p.m. east coast time) by visiting here and entering his bib number: 22494.  He should be done about 10 p.m. 

Disclaimer: The website is all in Japanese. I have been assured that all one needs do is type those numbers in a box.  Let me know how it goes. 

He's gonna do great, I just know.  Now I just have to plan my cheering route!

Gambare, Jeff!!

Mata ne,
Melissa

1 comments:

karyn February 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

As official poster of the splits to Melissa I am happy to announce that Jeff finished the race in less than 3 hours!

You can find the unofficial results here:

http://p.tokyo42195.org/numberfile/22494.html

A shout out to Google toolbar for the auto-translate function!

Post a Comment