Thursday, March 4, 2010

caution: foreign cyclist

Yesterday I got pulled over by a cop.  On my bike.  For making a "suspicious U-turn."  I repeat, on my bike.

Hilarity ensued. 

The situation went something like this:

I go the wrong direction down an unfamiliar street on my way to meet Jeff.  I realize I am going the wrong way and turn around.  Someone behind me says konnichiwa.  I think he is simply saying hi to someone he knows on the street (people generally do not say hi or acknowledge others on the street unless they see someone they know).  Bike Cop 1 approaches from behind while his partner, Bike Cop 2 positions his bike across the sidewalk in front of me forcing me to stop. 

Bike Cop 1 begins speaking to me very quickly in a language I do not understand.  I tell him I don't understand Japanese (in Japanese).  He asks me my name (in Japanese) and I respond.  He asks me (in Japanese) if this is my bike.  I tell him it is.  He asks for my gaijin card (an ID for foreigners) which I produce.  Bike Cop 2 gets on the walkie talkie to confirm if this is in fact my bike.  By this time a crowd has gathered.

Bike Cop 1 continues to speak to me in Japanese.  Only words I understand in the five minute conversation: bike, turn, name. I call Jeff. 

Jeff speaks with Bike Cop 1 on the phone.  Words I understand from this conversation: turn, wife, I'm sorry.  He hands the phone back to me.

Jeff explains the suspicious turn situation.  Bike Cop 1 and Bike Cop 2 bow and apologize to me, commenting on the bike parking sticker from the gym on my bike.  We all pedal away confused. 

Mata ne,
Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous March 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

Hmmm..... what is the penalty for speeding on your bike?

karyn March 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

I have shared this story with my friends at work and they have all been totally amused by it :-)

Post a Comment