Wednesday, March 3, 2010

hunting and fishing and reading

Yesterday at the library I picked up "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing"  Let's just say I was mislead by the title. 

Not that I thought that it would actually be a hunting and fishing guide, those of you who know me well can guess that those activities have little appeal to me.  I did go fishing once or twice with my dad in the Adirondaks when I was a kid.  All I remember is that fishing is boring and you have to touch worms. 

I went in under the assumption that this book would be in some way adventurous - or at least use interesting hunting and fishing metaphors to explain some aspect of the main character's life. Not so.  It was a hollow memoir of a shallowly crafted character's poor dating choices. 

The jacket reviews were outstanding.  Maybe I should have been tipped off not to trust them when the only publication produced by the quoted authors that I recognized was Cosmopolitan

On the bright side, I picked up the book yesterday and I'm finished with it already.  Not because I stayed up half the night hiding under the sheets with a flashlight reading as I was known to do with The Baby-sitter's Club books, but because it was deceivingly short.  It feels like a fairly substantial book, coming in just under 300 pages, but the typeface is large and there can not be more than 200 words on any page. 

It wasn't a terrible book, but a great work of literature it was not.  Well, moving on.  To another pillar of the Japanese literary world, Kenzaburo Oe and A Personal Matter.

And we did get to take a glorious bike ride around Ogikubo today followed by gnocci, broccoli, and spinach in white wine sauce for dinner.  Spring is springing!

Mata ne,
Melissa

0 comments:

Post a Comment